PhilNYC Wrote:
> What remains a mystery to me is (as highdudgeon points out) that if a
> DAC has a data buffer and a re-clocking mechanism, why would upstream
> jitter have an effect?  I still don't have an answer for that.

I don't know the answer either, but here's a shot at it.

Think for a moment about the buffer.  It's not infinitely large - it
has a limited capacity to hold data.  If you recall that one CD is
around 700 megabytes of data, you'll see that the buffer can probably
hold at most a few minutes of audio data, and more likely less.

OK, so what?  Well, recall that there are two clocks involved here -
the one on the transport sending the digital data into the DAC, and the
one inside the DAC outputting data from the buffer to the DAC chip
itself.  Those two clocks are not running at the same rate (no two
clocks will run at exactly the same rate - close, but not exactly).

Think of the buffer as a bucket into which you're pouring water, while
the water is draining out through a hole at the same time - but not at
quite the same rate you're pouring.  Eventually the buffer either fills
up (if the transport clock is faster - I think that's called buffer
overflow) or empties out (buffer underrun).  So then what is the DAC
supposed to do?

I can think of a few possibilities off the top of my head, but none of
them are without compromises.  Ultimately it might be ncessary to
switch back to the original transport clock when the buffer fills or
empties, thus re-introducing jitter.  So I'm not sure this
bufferring/reclocking story is really the silver bullet people make it
out to be.

--
opaqueice