Phil Leigh Wrote:
> Well...I used warbles because they are a bit more like music and are
> likely to excite resonant nodes as they sweep slowly through the range,
> hitting all the peculiar intermediate frequencies that would be tedious
> to locate using fixed sine waves...

OK, that's better so long as the sweep is slow enough that you can
switch RC on and off and walk around a bit to see the difference before
the freq changes too much - so that's a pretty slow sweep.

> I don't know about you, but I try and avoid listening to sine waves...

I do like some experimental music, but not quite that experimental...
but the point is, harmonic analysis works, and every sound can be
decomposed into sine waves.  The only thing the RC filter can do is
emphasize or de-emphasize a given frequency, and maybe add a phase.

> Clearly standing waves will still be there with RC on ... just quieter
> than normal. However, I'm not worried about them because they (the room
> nodes) don't appear to be located in the general area of listening
> position.

OK, that sounds good - I guess the best RC can do is move the nodes
away from the listening position, or at least make the response pretty
flat near it.

> Anyway, your're not going to build the convolving filter using sine
> waves...you're going to need an impulse waveform to build the filter
> from...

Sure, you use a sweep plus a chirp - but the sweep is nothing but a
series of sine waves with gradually increasing frequency.

--
opaqueice