PhilNYC wrote:
pfarrell Wrote:
>> about analog signal paths...
I can totally believe that there is an audible difference.

Interestingly, most of the top digital component designers agree that
just about all production DAC chips are incapable of using the last 5-6
bits on a 24-bit chip to anywhere near an accuracy that makes those last
5-6 bits useful for D-A conversion.

But is it important?
16 bits is 96 dB Signal to noise. Each additional bit add 6dB. Lets for the sake of not quibbling over whether it is 5 or 6, and say using 24 bit actually delivers only two real bits of additional signal.

That takes us from 96dB to 108 dB.

Is that enough? It is clear that no listening space is quiet enough for 108 dB of range, it is not clear that any space 'needs' a range of 96 dB. But we know that the trucation of 16 bit signals without proper dithering is audible, at least when you have 24 bit DACs to compare against. And I'll grant that crappy engineering makes the bad dithering more audible even with RedBook.

But a lot of the bad reputation that RedBook got from audiophiles was
because early recording engineers used 16 bit (or worse 12 bit) effects
Most good recording engineers today use 24 bit audio paths from start to finish, and use a good dithering algorithm to reduce the signal to RedBook specs.

The key question for audiophiles is really not "is 24 bits better than 16" as the answer is pretty clearly yes. The question is, do you really need 19 or 20 bits? or the full 24? And if you can hear it, how much is it worth?

I totally agree that the engineering to deliver linear response over 108dB or more is challenging. Normal 1% resistors don't cut it.
And given unlimited funds, engineers can do it, altho the cost
may exceed even what the folks who read The Absolute Sound thing
is expensive.

At some point, it is cheaper to hire the Julliard String Quartet
to play in your living room.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html