seanadams;142647 Wrote:
> OK I'm with you there.
>

> Maybe that was a bit harsh. I didn't mean to diminish anyone's fun in
> doing whatever they please with their equipment, and to be clear, I was
> referring to ANY design, not specifically mine.
>
> The point is, if you have no idea how the thing works, but you expect
> better results by soldering in some Black Gate caps or whatever, then
> all you're doing is enjoying the fun of hacking on your stuff, and
> whatever improvement in sound quality you perceive is either a) in your
> head or b) the result of added noise and distortion. So fine, that
> doesn't make one a "fool", but personally I find the hobby a lot more
> rewarding when I take some effort to understand how this stuff works
> before going in there and swapping out parts in some hope that I will
> discover a phenomenon that electrical engineering can't explain which
> makes it sound better.

Actually, you might be surprised what some people can come up with
without the full understanding. Both positive and negative changes, of
course. Not that I'd recommend that method of developing prodcuts
(although it has been the standard modus operandi for millenia, it is
now largely outdated).

However, the much maligned subjectivitists have had an uphill battle
against objectivists claiming that things that clearly sound like cr*p
are just fine because they measure fine. In my opinion the
subjectivists won most of the battles during the 70's and 80's. Of
course the "if it cant be measured" crowd conveniently forgets all the
past fiascos. Todays measurement equipment is infinitely better, but we
still don't measure everything we should measure.

--
P Floding