These things are subjective, as you see, despite underlying technical
issues that are objective indeed.

Here's my take on it: a SB3 is good.  From what I understand, modded
SB3s are equal or somewhat better.  According to Tom, some mods
approach the Transporter.  Anyway, the Transporter is a lot better than
the SB3.  The SB with a high performance, studio-grade,
jitter-eliminating DAC like the Lavry is a lot better than a SB3.  In
fact, I would say it is more or less comparable to the Transporter, the
difference being one of nuance.  The SB3 and Transporter through a Lavry
sound the same -- like a Lavry.

So, from a purely economic perspective, you could go with a SB3 and,
say, a Lavry.  However, the Transporter gives you far more
functionality (extra inputs, etc.) and far greater aesthetics.  These
are important to some people.  I like having four analog outputs (good
for subs and mains), extra inputs, and the real good looks of the
things.  If these are NOT priorities...

--
highdudgeon

Relax.  It's about the music.