Nonreality;329180 Wrote:
> If you can hear the difference between the flac and the CD it's either
> the air or the DAC not the files.  You've got to watch the air it can
> do all kind of crazy stuff. You see the results of the air here all the
> time.

it is not the DAC because i use my CD player as a DAC for the SB3.

i *definitely* hear a difference between FLACs played through the SB3's
DAC and the original CD, but I was talking about controlled listening
with different digital formats played through an identical DAC.

i do not have the luxury (or the interest) in setting up a lab for
psychoacoustics in my listening environment, so i have always been the
first to question some of the things i *think* i hear at times when it
comes to the audiophile shrine. :-)

in a nutshell: well-ripped 320k mp3s sounds pretty darn awesome. in my
opinion, the original recording is a gating factor more often than not.
but with extreemly well recorded stuff one can discern the difference
between FLAC and the psychoacoustic shortcuts MP3 takes.

--
pablolie