pablolie;329476 Wrote:
> it is not the DAC because i use my CD player as a DAC for the SB3.
>
> i *definitely* hear a difference between FLACs played through the SB3's
> DAC and the original CD, but I was talking about controlled listening
> with different digital formats played through an identical DAC.
>
> i do not have the luxury (or the interest) in setting up a lab for
> psychoacoustics in my listening environment, so i have always been the
> first to question some of the things i *think* i hear at times when it
> comes to the audiophile shrine. :-)
>
> in a nutshell: well-ripped 320k mp3s sounds pretty darn awesome. in my
> opinion, the original recording is a gating factor more often than not.
> but with extreemly well recorded stuff one can discern the difference
> between FLAC and the psychoacoustic shortcuts MP3 takes.To me even the 190
> mp3 sounds very good but that is my old ears.  But
why I said the dac is that flac should sound the same as the cd or else
your dac is not doing it's job.  Being lossless there is no reason not
to sound the same.  I'm just wondering why you would notice a
difference between the two.  I'm not saying that you are not, just
trying to see a reason why.  In test after test they do sound the same
but that doesn't mean that equipment couldn't affect the result.  This
might be the time to tell the wife that you have to have new equipment,
a golden opportunity. :)

--
Nonreality

-IF THE RULE YOU FOLLOWED BROUGHT YOU TO THIS, OF WHAT USE IS THE RULE.-

HTTP://www.last.fm/user/nonreality