Phil Leigh;543167 Wrote:
> Just to clarify a couple of things:
> 1) on the old 0-40 scale, each step was 1.25dB
> 2) on the current 0-100 scale, each step is 0.5dB
> 3) on the 0-100 scale no bits are irretrievably lost from the 16
> originals until the 16th (LSB) bit is shifted below the 24th (LSB) bit
> of the volume control (ignoring the DAC for a moment).
> 4) each complete bit-shift costs 6dB of SNR (or dynamic range if you
> insist)
> 5) With real 24-bit DAC's you can forget about the bottom 4 bits (of
> the 24) because the DAC's aren't perfect, for both 16 and 24-bit
> sources they will just carry noise which you can't hear anyway, even at
> greatly boosted listening volumes. So you are left with a 20-bit DAC and
> 4-bits of available shift before the DAC loses the ability to recover
> the full 16-bit "information" - and this is academic. Even for those 4
> bits there is a cost of increased SNR (6dB per bit) but you won't hear
> this SNR impact unless the original signal is very low indeed, because
> making something that is very very quiet (the self-noise of the DAC) 16
> times louder still means it is very quiet...
>

> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=164814&postcount=12

If you are correct on that 0 - 40 scale being 1.25db then that test
shows it's way worse than I ever anticipated.

Volume 30 would be - 12.5dB attenuation. (2-Bits). And you're down to
88dB dynamic range on the table in that test. You lose 1.5bits of
dynamic range.

Volume 20 would be - 25.0dB attenuation. (4-Bits).  And you're down to
75dB dynamic range on the table in that test. You lose almost 4bits of
dynamic range.

Attenuate a bit lose a bit. Nice.

The bottom 8bits of that "24bit" DAC are practically non existent.

Thanks for the claification.

--
mswlogo

XP > Cat5 > Transporter/DuetController > SPDIF > Meridian G68 > DSP6000,
DSP5500HC, DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > SB3 > SPDIF > Meridian DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > DuetReceiver > SPDIF > Meridian G91 > DSP5000

'My Transporter Setup'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=350741&postcount=45)
'Hitch Hikers Guide to Meridian' (http://www.meridianunplugged.com)