darrenyeats;543576 Wrote:
> I think I see where you're coming from.
>
> If you look at the tests volume 30 is 12.5db of attenuaton but the
> result is only 7.1db reduction in dynamic range from 40 (max). This is
> noticeably different to stepping from volume 30 to volume 20, a further
> 12.5db attenuation but which results in a more expected 11.7db reduction
> in dynamic range.
>
> Why is the initial drop off nowhere near 12.5db decibels?
>
> Darren

Correct. At least some folks are reading.

The DAC is not an absolute finite device. It's not 24bit, it's not
20bit, it's barely even 16bit.

As you shift down. You're not losing discrete WHOLE bits. You're just
pushing them into a range of the DAC where it performs worse. So it
converts those low bits but not as well as it does in higher positions.

--
mswlogo

XP > Cat5 > Transporter/DuetController > SPDIF > Meridian G68 > DSP6000,
DSP5500HC, DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > SB3 > SPDIF > Meridian DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > DuetReceiver > SPDIF > Meridian G91 > DSP5000

'My Transporter Setup'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=350741&postcount=45)
'Hitch Hikers Guide to Meridian' (http://www.meridianunplugged.com)