Phil Leigh;543289 Wrote:
> The point is that (using 0-100 scale) volume 70 = 15dB of attenuation =
>
> SNR decreased by 15dB from 96dB to 81dB.
>
> You need to put that 81dB SNR into perspective:
> 1) you won't hear the extra noise at normal volumes at normal listening
> position - even playing digital silence
> 2) if there is ANY music playing you definitely won't hear it!
> 3) The SNR of the best vinyl replay is <60dB, the best cassette decks
> managed 65dB (just), the best Pro RTR tape decks (properly aligned,
> with new tape!) could do 75dB... so 81dB is well higher than any of
> those. This is why you won't hear it.

Exactly.

At 80 (on the new Transporter scale) you are not attenuating a "normal"
range for volume control.

On my system (where volume is in dB) my lstening range is about 24dB
(60 to 85dB).

On the transporter scale that would be about 100 down to 50 for that
same delta range.

Dropping down to 80 is not really a legit range to test if you use that
as your primary volume control.

You attenuated only by 10dB (1.6bits). And with that test you probably
only lose a little over .5 bits. .5 bits loss is hard to hear. You can
hear it but it's hard.

But if you swing your delta volume in digital over a "normal" range in
dB (e.g. +/- 12dB). You will have severe dynamic range loss.

I was not aware the Transporter has such a small step, because I
learned long ago even on squeezebox to ALWAYS disable it.

I was thinking you dropped 20dB not 10dB and didn't hear it.

If you only drop 10dB it would be difficult to hear on a good DAC.

You want enough range for playing the softess CD at the highest level
to the loudest CD the lowest. For me that takes 24dB of range. (That's
50 steps on Transporter).

80 to 100 (that only +/- 5dB) is way too narrow range as a Volume
control.

It sound like you do use and anlog preamp and are experimenting. You
need to simulate what a realistic range that would be needed over a
wide range of needs over a wide range of music. Some folks will want
more range some will get by with less.

I actually use more range than 24dB but I limited it to a range where I
would care and expect to still hear good detail.

If I were to repeat your test and switch to digital Volume on
transporter. I'd set my Analog Gain around 90 (to simulate no Preamp).
And I would probably need to use 50 - 100 on Transporter (to get 24dB)
of volume range.

--
mswlogo

XP > Cat5 > Transporter/DuetController > SPDIF > Meridian G68 > DSP6000,
DSP5500HC, DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > SB3 > SPDIF > Meridian DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > DuetReceiver > SPDIF > Meridian G91 > DSP5000

'My Transporter Setup'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=350741&postcount=45)
'Hitch Hikers Guide to Meridian' (http://www.meridianunplugged.com)