I thought we had established that we are not "losing detail" until
you've shifted over 4 bits but raising the noise floor  out of the DAC
(so the quietest sounds get closer to it or even in extreme cases,
below it - although you can still hear them). Personally I reckon you
can lose 4 more bits than that before you can detect anything in a DBT
- we obviously don't agree on this but there have been many tests over
the years that indicate people have difficulty telling 16-bit from
16-bit reduced (properly) to 12 or even 10 bits.

Anyway, yes I am using an analogue pre-amp, and I have the Vol on
100... BUT I use Replaygain (which is the same as using the volume
control, with one important exception - it can also boost).

Across my collection the AlbumReplaygain range is -12dB /+5dB average.
So on the loudest albums (which are all heavily compressed "loudness
wars" victims) I'm using 12dB of digital attenuation. On the quietest,
I'm boosting the level (pre-dac) by 5dB.

I don't believe this has any audible effect other than changing the
level.

I don't believe that may people on this forum advocate using the full
range of the digital attenuation with just a power amp, preferring
instead to set the gain-staging correctly via analogue attenuators
between dac and amp and using the SB attenuation between 70-100 (and/or
replaygain)

Your situation is different, since you have a fully digital chain into
your amps - so nowhere to insert the analogue attenuation?.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio