mswlogo;543002 Wrote:
> Sorry but I think you're reading it all wrong.
>
> If you were right that would be even WORSE !!
>
> Because at "75%" they said they get 75dB Dynamic Range (instead of
> ideally 96dB).
>
> So for 2-bits of attenuation (12.5dB as you say) they lose 24dB of
> dynamic range (4-bits). I know it's not THAT bad.
>
> That is a very old article when SqueezeBox didn't use the 0-100 scale.
Hi mswlogo,
If I look at the original link
(http://mysite.verizon.net/forumwebspace/RightMark/Test%20Reports/Volume.htm)
I can't see where 75db is mentioned (except 75.8db, under volume 20 or
what they call "50%").

The point is that at 80 volume on Squeezebox you're dropping about 10db
or less than 2 bits.
mswlogo;542880 Wrote:

> Re: Topic of attenuation. if you're happy with 14bits at 80 volume. All
> the power to ya. That test that was posted says it all. Some
> ears/systems may not notice it but others will.
Where do you get 14 bits from? The original 16 have descended less than
2 bits - they're sitting comfortably in the middle of the 20 bits a good
DAC can resolve.
Darren

--
darrenyeats

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/richpub/listmania/byauthor/A3H57URKQB8AQO/ref=cm_pdp_content_listmania/203-7606506-5721503.

(Inguz bass EQ'd) SB3 -> (pre bypassed) Krell KAV-300i -> PMC AB-1
(caps bass EQ'd) Desktop -> Genius Slab SW-flat2.1 700
Sennheiser HD 25-1 II