mswlogo;543630 Wrote:
> For some reason quote did not work. But you said the reason I hear
> differences is due to digital crossovers.
>
> But that is a VERY good point.
>
> It probably does impact it. But I'm sure it does not account for all of
> it.
>
> That test clearly shows significant loss due to digital attenuation.
>
> Sean has said it, that test shows it. It's not free. Period.
>
> How MUCH impact is up to your system and ears. But I bit hear and there
> is critical in my opinion on any good recording. It won't matter much on
> crap.

What Sean said was very clear... any attenuation increases the noise
floor/decreases the SNR. That's all. Did he say you could ALWAYS hear
it? - NO. He expressed no opinion on that AFAIK.

You keep talking about "loss" - loss of what?
Mathematically until you shift past the 16th bit in the 20-bit
effective window you haven't "lost" anything except SNR.

If you can really hear an increase of 6dB in the noise floor from -96dB
to -90db then you have exceptional hearing.
I can't... and I'm very glad I can't. I don't know anyone who can.

Most people on the planet thing that a 75dB SNR is astonishingly good.
Until 16-bit digital PCM recording, it was the state of the art. In
fact, at best it defines the noise floor of most of your classical
recordings (pre 1980's anyway).

By the way, I have a fully-active tri-amped system - and STAX SR
4070/SRM727's that are more revealing than both your system or mine.
Guess my ears must be shot... or maybe it's the "crap" I've been
listening to?

I give up...
Off to listen to some music (with or without a bit of extra noise in
it).

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio