darrenyeats;543653 Wrote:
> I can understand how 48 bits helps the DSP to be more transparent (less
> rounding errors).
>
> Once the resulting signal is converted to 24 bits and passed to a DAC,
> won't it be still subject to the "20 bits of dynamic range" problem? Do
> you see why I ask? Or perhaps you could send a link that explains more
> about the Meridian set up.
> Darren

Correct, 48 bit just avoids rounding errors.

Yes the DSP speaker is still subject to the problems discussed here.

You can read about Meridian speakers here
http://media.meridian-audio.com/datasheets/papers/DSP-speakers-paper-v2.pdf

You will not find a all the details of there though, but some. The rest
is spread over different bits of information that some folks have
aquired over the years from Meridian. Some of what they do in their
processors is the same as what's done in speakers too. And generations
have changed. Their newest ones have apodizing filters in their
upsampler. But for the life of me I can't hear the difference apodizing
adds. Too old I guess.

--
mswlogo

XP > Cat5 > Transporter/DuetController > SPDIF > Meridian G68 > DSP6000,
DSP5500HC, DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > SB3 > SPDIF > Meridian DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > DuetReceiver > SPDIF > Meridian G91 > DSP5000

'My Transporter Setup'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=350741&postcount=45)
'Hitch Hikers Guide to Meridian' (http://www.meridianunplugged.com)