mswlogo;543684 Wrote:
> As soon as you shift down (filling the top end with zeros) you are
> basically throwing away dynamic range. I call it lost (or under
> utilized dynamic range that you have available). Call it what ever you
> like.
>
> Correct, Sean does not say how much difference you would actually hear.
> Just that those 8 bits attenution is not free.
>
> There is good reason CD's are 16bit. And why people (even on this
> forum) think more than 16bits (up to 20) sounds even better. But
> according to you it's impossible to hear even 16bits. Why bother having
> DACs that can even do 20bits. Just so you can turn down the freaken
> volume in digital. I don't think so !!! According to you 12bits is
> plenty.
>
> 6dB is 1 bit. That's a lot out of 16bits.
>
> Now if we were talking 20 vs 21 bits it would be different.
>
> But 15 vs 16bits. I'll take my 16bits thank you very much.
>
> A lot of CD's are not full scale either. There is another bit or so
> gone.
>
> So now on some CD's it's 14 vs 15 bits (6dB) I'm hearing a difference
> in.
>
> Unless I use something like Replay Gain to bring it back up to full
> scale. Which I'm think of using. But there are some complications with
> that in Meridian world (other benefits I don't wish to lose).
>
> I could share how to actually compare things but you'll just fight that
> tooth and nail on that too. So I won't bother. It would be too much of
> shock for this croud.
>
> Enjoy the tunes.

The reason CD's are 16-bit is that 96dB of SNR looks so much better on
paper than 84 (which is what CD was originally going to be... still
better than the 75dB state of the art analogue at the time!)

There is nothing in Shannon/Nyquist that talks to the number of bits
required to accurately represent anything. What's a bit of noise
between friends?

This discussion has been about the impact of digital attenuation on
16-bit sources. By definition, 16-bit sources cannot exploit a "20"-bit
DAC. DVD-A can and it sounds better. I never said otherwise.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio