Phil Leigh;641921 Wrote:
> Inguz is not the issue - it's only the convolver which is a pure maths
> function. The art is in defining the convolution curve "nicely" and in
> measuring the stuff accurately in the first place.
>
> Using Audiolense and a very good mic and ADC to capture (and using
> Inguz only as the convolver) is a very different solution that IME is
> ahead of (say) TACT et al.
>
> As someone who (in their time) has spent thousands on room treatments
> in several rooms, I'm happy to say that I "know" DSP is more capable
> than Helmholz resonators, bass traps, wave diffractors and other "bits
> of foam" at taming the sound of speakers in a room. YMMV of course. In
> either case, the real trick is to start with a room that needs as
> little correction of any sort as possible (e.g. good dimensions and
> materials and layout). Then the "correction" can mostly just deal with
> the peculiarities of the speakers (in the room).
Actually getting an even RT60 for a fair part of the frequency band is
feasible with room treatments. This is very beneficial. Bass is
trickier in smaller rooms like mine - the physical size of the
treatments required get impractical. But I believe it's worth trying
because reducing discontinuous resonances (biggest candidates usually
being room modes) is very important to sound quality.
Darren

--
darrenyeats

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/richpub/listmania/byauthor/A3H57URKQB8AQO/ref=cm_pdp_content_listmania/203-7606506-5721503.