rolski;642434 Wrote:
> On the contrary to your contrary....;)
>
> If everyone changes to active / active + DSP, that's it.  Game over.
> No more upgrades for anyone - or rather - exceptionally rarely.
> Dealers go out of business.
>
> To make some sweeping generalisations (hang on, just getting into my
> asbestos suit...!) driver technology becomes self-defeating as the
> built-in electronics take care of any mechanical / audio weaknesses.
> Digital inputs & network data transfer protocols make all discussion of
> cables pointless for even the most dogmatically deluded - just use a
> Cat** network cable. Weaknesses in mechanical design - enclosure
> stiffness / bracing / should you blu-tack or spike etc also become moot
> - because DSP can "take care of it". The bragging-rights game disappears
> (my amplifier's bigger than yours) because the efficiency gains are
> huge. The need to constantly tweak & upgrade simply goes away.
> "House-sound" of speakers / amps etc - you'll (in future) be able to
> tune the sound to your own satisfaction.
>
> Fundamentally, the "massive upgrade potential" that you speak of would
> kill dealer business stone dead. There is often some significant outlay
> associated with going active the first time, but you can recoup that
> with the sale of your amps / cables / other parts of the system. I
> would wholeheartedly recommend that you demo (for example) some
> Meridian or ATC speakers - you'll be knocked sideways. They're pricey,
> but are they really ?

On the contrary to your contrary to my contrary....;)

The dealer business model is almost dead anyway, with all the
competition from online direct sales and the massive surplus of used
gear (on Audiogon, eBay, etc.), but that's besides the point for this
particular discussion.

It would take a good 10 years of really booming business for the
dealers before the customer base got to the point where everyone had
the active systems. And by that time, the next big thing will come
along to give users an excuse to buy more gear. (Do you expect that
speaker technology will suddenly stand still while this transition
happens?) Besides, one of the main reasons people upgrade is because
they have "upgraditis", not because they actually need new gear.

--
TiredLegs