darrenyeats;642785 Wrote:
> I think ATC's Billy Woodman would have something to say about DSP
> "taking care of other problems". That's not their philosophy...and I'm
> seeing it more that way too.
>
> Call me a luddite...(!)
> Darren

yes I to have Meridian but DSP cant fix everything, imho it's a way to
get things even better :) but you must have a good starting point.
But DSP migth provide enhancements that are simply impossible in analog
stuff but the basic speaker must be good anyway.
For example even if meridian are digital speakers they built very rigid
and resonans free cabinets.

But all speakers are compromises especially home speakers, in my own
setup I'm most impressed by my center speaker ? this is probably due to
that my dsp5200 are small the midrange is to close to the floor . a more
ugly design with a square but deep box (like pmc) on a stand might have
been better , but then it the speaker would have been deemed "ugly"
with no waf and not sell anything and thus not existed in the first
place ?

I wish there would be more active design's to choose from .

My hero would be someone who would design an universal standard digital
speaker interface to be used in both stereo and home theater, this
interface should carry not only the music data but also volume level
calibaration level optional filter and tone control and eq data etc,
display stuff etc.

This interface should also be used on typical HT recievers and
preamps.

If this interface existed a "meridian type" digital home theater would
be possible from more than one manufacturer and be universally
compatible.

Prices for this kind of solution would then plummet to sane levels.

As pointed out here and elsewhere an active speaker with built in amps
and DSP filters should give more bang for the buck than separate units,
the solution is not only better but also cheaper.
But this is not the case in the real world to little competition and
almost no "midfi" products, there is AVi adm9 basically ?

How cheaper ? have anyone seen what these high end passive fillter
components cost air-wound coils the size of footballs and beer can
sized capacitors they are way more expensive than the silicon in any
active fillter ?

--
Mnyb

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: SB3 + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad 64gB wifi +3g with iPengHD & SqueezePad