The way EDO works when selecting the 192 digital out will use less
memory and will result in less processing going on. (please note that
this output will do all sample rates up to and including 192, not JUST
192). What Triode has done here COULD have been done with the original
S/PDIF driver (and IS done in TT3.0). Triode has just chosen to bundle
the changes in the way the driver is used with the new driver, as far as
I can tell there is nothing different in the new driver other than
support for 192. The differences are all in the way the driver is used.

Are these differences going to affect sound? Maybe. First off it depends
very much on how sensitive a DAC is to whats going on with the input.
Some are quite sensitive to jitter in the input, noise, reflections etc.
Others are fairly insensitive to this. (I have yet to find a DAC that is
COMPLETELY insensitive to what's happening on the input) (all this of
course is assuming the the bits are all getting across without errors)

I don't think anybody has a complete definitive explanation of what's
going on, but there are some speculations. My theory is that most of the
changes to the S/PDIF signal are coming about because of ground plane
noise. There is a perception amoungst a lot of people that a ground
plane is a large equipotential (same voltage everywhere) system, this is
far from the truth. The impedance of a ground plane is NOT zero, its not
a lot, but it is still there. A digital system like the Touch has all
kinds of high frequency currents flowing all over the place through the
ground plane, the impedance of the plane is enough to cause voltage
differences to develope on the plane due to those currents flowing
through it. Everything on the board is going to be affected by this
noise to some degree. Digital logic IS affected by it, but in most cases
it's not great enough to cause any issues. Where it becomes an issue are
things like the local oscillators, the recloking flop, DAC chip etc. For
S/PDIF output, the two most critical parts are the local oscilators and
the reclocking flop. This noise can cause increased jitter on the clock
and is also directly injected as noise onto the output.

I have actually measured this ground plane noise. I built a simple
device that detects and amplifies the noise and sends it to a spectrum
analyzer. I can actually see changes in this ground plane noise with
changes in what is going on in the Touch. I'm in the process of building
a much more sensitive ground plane analyzer, sometime this summer I hope
to have it up and running and can do some better tests.

Of course then you have to do correlations between this ground plane
noise and what changes this makes in SOUND at the output of a DAC. That
is a whole different kettle of fish. This is going to be hampered by the
way that different DACs will deal differently with any changes.

So the upshot is that yes I have actually measured real electrical
changes in the Touch due to these types of changes, these changes have
the possibility that they may cause audible changes, whether they do has
not been determined. If they due cause an affect, that affect will
almost certainly be different or non-existent for different DACs.

Can I personally hear the difference? On some DACs yes and on some no.
On the ones that I can hear the difference it's not a huge night and day
difference.

John S.