After this thread, I went ahead and read about Magico. One interesting
thing the designer mentions is about screwing the drivers to MDF. They
ultimately become loose. But the whole Magico frame itself is bolted
together. Wouldn't these bolts become loose too ? Anyways, the idea of
an inert enclosure has always intrigued me as well. And I have looked
into Egglestonworks speakers and enclosure less speakers like the
Magnepan and Martin Logans. China has helped reduce the cost of cabinet
manufacturing and I think these MDF based speaker prices have gone down
or you should not be buying high priced versions of them either. I think
this is where Magico is positioning itself. A real high-end model, it is
the same technique premium for the last mile performance.
Back to good deals, I think KEF and Focal are good because they are able
to do some R&D because of their market share/volume. B&W is still high
priced. As for me personally, I am eyeing the Magnepans as the smallest
one on the wall I have now in the bedroom sounds very 'real' compared to
any other speakers I have had (PSB, Paradigm, Silverline and even my
current Newform Research).