jh901 wrote:
> Most of us are typically prioritizing "value", but not everyone is
> restrained.  Thankfully.  I'm glad that some are willing and able to
> splurge for the KEF Blade or the Focal Stella Utopia.  We all benefit
> from that, but why do "we" get hung up on jealousy?  Why characterize
> such a purchase as a waste or think of that buyer as a fool?  WE are
> CRAZY if we think that way.
>
> B&W may have higher margins due to successful marketing.  Good for
> them.
>
> I do prefer to stick to the proven names with a reputation for value.  I
> don't think Focal's Utopia line is value oriented at all (at MSRP), but
> one can find a deal with a bit of luck and effort which will make the
> purchase rational.  Frankly, I'm not spending $2 grand on speaker stands
> unless they are loaded with at least $1,500 cash.  LOL.  I doubt there
> is much value at MSRP in any of the statement lines, but again, I don't
> pay MSRP!  As for Cary, well, read about the SLP-05, for example.  Or
> the SLP-98.  Their gear doesn't have the Mac look nor does it come with
> Mac pricing.  As for the sound quality, well, I hope some will check
> them out (especially Ralph...the 306 will blind him!).

Yes you are correct that paying MSRP for high end audio equipment is
luxury only a few of us can afford and thankfully there is a robust
pre-owned equipment market to help the less fortunate get in the game.

By the way I checked the Cary Audio web site and both the SLP-05 and the
SLP-98 are tube based pre-amps and I will NEVER buy any audio equipment
that uses TUBES, I repeat NEVER. Tubes have their uses but not as part
an audio system. Besides I already have a very good Sim Audio solid
state pre-amp. The Cary CD-306 is a SACD/CD player with digital inputs,
i.e it can function as an external DAC, and there is no way I am ever
going to buy another SACD/CD player, again I already own a McCormack
SACD player, an Oppo blu-ray/SACD player and a Marantz SACD player
(which is not even being used). I might be interested in the new Oppo
BDP-105 for my home theater set up but not another audio disc player.