darrenyeats wrote:
> In my recent experience, this forum tends to be skeptics agreeing with
> each other and mocking "backward" individuals. It's all far too
> self-congratulatory and repetitive for my taste, which is why I'm not
> here that often.
>
> I think you guys need to be challenged a bit. That's healthy.
>
> Nobody's going to change their mind about life based on words typed on a
> forum. Remember this is about social contact ... even when there's a big
> bust up, people just like interacting with other people! Try to leave a
> bit of space for discussion by keeping your mind open a little. That's
> how conversations are given room to develop.
>
> In 2054 maybe someone will discover something about audio which changes
> the goal posts. Evidence-based reasoning isn't the same as turning out
> to be right in the end.

it changes all the time and that’s the point :) sometimes we get
paradigm shifts , but audio is a very very mature science and we can
easily make at least electronics that’s transparent to us already and
our biology evolves very slowly, speakers is another thing the limit
here is usually interior design fashion and price but regardless they
always make thier own sound so we have to choose. When fashion allows
for large enough boxes we can make physics work for us instead of
against us (The oposite of Bose acustimess ,horrible ) .

And audio is only a subset of electronics in general , I do see paradigm
shifts on the way how would a future microprocessor actually work for
example , qbits optical who knows ?? but no one is handwiring silver
transformers or similar . And electronics is a subset of physics which
in turn is very well know on the day to day scale that concerns our
daily activities . don’t expect "dark matter" or new exotic particles to
change audio ...
If I’ve i live 2054 ill be back to be proven wrong !

Btw don’t get caught up in the product of the month in audio magazines
and their illusion of constant progress .. things don’t change that fast
.

I'm just  a bit saddened that my fine hobby is slowly turned into the
equivalent of what Astrology is to Astronomy there is a common ancestry
but one of these have made astonishing progress while the other just is
the same as it ever was . Pseudoscience cant make real progress as the
methods are flawed you can discover things by luck and progress slowly
but that’s nothing compared to real progress .

There are many real things to investigate , todays AV products are
astonishingly complex and they have flaws here and there such things are
seldom discovered , not many reviewers goes trough the paces to really
scrutinize products .
When the DVD was launched there was a revival when some reviewers
stepped up to really investigate picture quality for example .

And you can convince audiophiles to think different I was one of them .

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)