Mushroom_3 wrote:
> Thanks for another really interesting blog Archimago.
>
> At what point does this become fraud?

Good question... I guess it's especially important to remember -caveat
emptor- when we're wading in the "high resolution" domain of data
downloads. Unless there are some guidelines put in place to ensure the
data is sourced from material that actually has the potential for >16/44
resolution, then each release will have to be individually assessed.

What we need is a SPARS code for audio I think. Remember the old ADD,
DDD, AAD... Maybe throw in *H *as an alternate for "high resolution";
usually meaning 24-bits and/or higher frequency response and *D *gets
redefined as "standard resolution" digital?

*HHH *- high res all the way - recorded, mixed, and final mastering in
high res digital. Theoretically the "best"...
*HHD *- high res capture, high res mix/process, CD quality final master
*AHH *- typical old analogue recording, digitized and remastered in high
res digital, high res format to the consumer

HDH - this looks what I'd call this album... Supposedly captured in
24/192 according to sources, then in the mixing process only a standard
resolution flow was utilized, and finally sold as a high res file (with
some stealthy volume adjustment thrown in)

There's no perfect way to achieve quality control, but perhaps something
like this could at least help the consumer. Also, something like this
would be a mechanism whereby there is a way for the producers and
sellers to be *held accountable* for the product. If this album were
designated HHH, it would certainly be "false advertising".

What do you guys think? Maybe we can brainstorm a way to propose
something like this as a blog post for posterity...

Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective'
audiophile blog.