cliveb wrote:
> Wow, I had no idea that relating my little experience would stir up such
> a sh*tstorm of vitriol.
>
> I agree that the "test" I performed could never be described as
> scientifically valid. But can we apply a little common sense here,
> please?
>
> 1. During a sighted comparison, I heard a difference between two DACs.
> 2. During a casual single-blind comparison (when I didn't know which DAC
> was playing), I failed to detect that previously-heard difference.
>
> It seems that jkeny is saying that my casual single-blind test has no
> validity at all. All I can say is that it strikes me as having somewhat
> more validity than a fully sighted test. It says to me that what I
> personally hear is influenced by knowledge of what device is playing.
> And my understanding is that decades of psychological research has
> discovered that the same applies to most people (ie. that I'm not a
> freak in this respect).
>
> jkeny: you're not seriously suggesting that a proper DBT would show that
> those differences heard in (1) above would magically reappear, surely?
> If not, what's your beef?
>
> The audiophile at home is in no position to conduct a scientifically
> valid DBT. So does this mean he should not make any attempt whatsoever
> to try and eliminate non-auditory cues when comparing equipment?

I Agre with you , this is usually the best effort you can do at home .
you still need an assistnat that can toss a cion and flip a switch
somewhere

If the casual single blind still had given a positive . Then a more
rigurous test would be called for , or some research online if the
product have been blind tested by someone else or rework the setup small
level diffrences can creep in to the test  .
best case is if there exist several well done blind tests of the same
thing ,then you can put the data together .

Hower infinite number of audiophile anecdotes of a sigthed test does not
give more information than one such anecdote , they are both close to 0
. They are descriptions of one persons subjective experience but there
is no "external" information to share the question does it really sound
different to other observer can not be answered . Nor can the question
does it really sound diffrent at ll be answered .

I do like to resort to first principples .

Can anyone piont to just one case where diffrences -100dB under the
signal levels have been audible (while playing music) .
Any kind of diffrence analog digital thd noise ? jitter, phase, whatever
.

Then we can discuss the audible merits if special cases such as DAC's or
amplifiers or whatnot .

Example there is no piont in trying to discern the audible diffrences in
digital inputs , before the first case is proven  these differences are
of technical interest but can not possible give you "congested midrange"
or sibilances or my favorite "digital sound" :P

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )