jkeny wrote:

> I really don't get your position - I thought that an ABX test should
> ONLY be entered into if a difference is identified?

This is a place I've been many times, so I've had the opportunity to
think it through.

The usual purpose of a listening test is to determine whether there is
an audible difference. Not being particularly naive, we know that
various forms of imperections and reproduction errors may exist at
various levels in real world audio gear, and that their audibility under
various conditions are not necessarily known. They may be audible, they
may not.

Therefore any presumed rule that an ABX test should ONLY be entered into
if a difference is identified would be illogical and very inhibiting to
the pursuit of Science.

> Now, part of your ABX testing is the ability for the user to "train"
> himself by using "sighted" listening prior to the test. In other words,
> using Foobar ABX we can repeatedly play file A or file B (both of which
> we know the identities of) & jump between tracks at any point. Is this
> not intended to allow the user to isolate & identify differences that
> they can reliably identify "sighted" before continuing to the blind part
> of the test?

Many options are provided for the listener in ABX, but which ones he
uses are ultimately up to him and/or the one who organizes the
experiment.

A and B do provide the potential of a sighted evaluation, but you have
already been privy to a number of discussions where it was said that the
listener "ran the X's" and did not refer to A or B, right?