pippin wrote:
> As of my experience doctors do that all the time.
>

> We have two different topics at hand here.
>
> 1. How does a specific setup sound to someone.
> This is of course obvious and if your massive gold-plated power cable
> sounds better to you because you know how expensive it was and it gives
> you the warm feeling that you were able to afford it or you hand-crafted
> 780-component system that took three years to setup gives you the good
> feeling that you've done everything you could to optimize it and all of
> this makes your system sound superior to you then that's a real and live
> effect and makes your listening experience better.
>
> 2. How a system should be designed to create the best output for
> everyone. The effect in #1 is highly individual and non-reproducible so
> discussing it in the context of "does something sound different" is
> totally useless. It doesn't get you anywhere because you can't influence
> it as a designer of a system, it's an individual thing (OK, you could
> simply sell your system more expensively to create that warm feeling and
> actually I'm deeply convinced that's simply what 90% of all audiophile
> vendors do but that's not engineering, that's marketing).
> As a designer of a system you have to care about measurable effects and
> design the optimum performance for it.
>
> Asking "are there people to whom 64 kbpit/s mp3 played through a
> bluetooth speaker submerged inside of an aquarium sound better" gets you
> nowhere. Of course there are or nobody would buy beats headphones. But
> unless they are either your majority or your target group you'd usually
> stay with getting the most accurate sound reproduction and that
> specifically includes all kind of errors. Because stuttering or
> non-working playback is actually very inaccurate and even if it only
> happens to some people it's a serious degradation of your overall system
> performance.

Completely with You...

0. This is why I try to avoid doctors.

1. This is exactly what I pointed out talking about 'better': discussing
individual perceptions drive no where from a designer point of view,
unless you're talking about marketing and you could influence the 'needs
of the market.

2. Again, I Agree, but... I only think that measure (at least as we
today intend them) should be integrated by listening, because the violon
made by Val di Fassa threes do sound better than the other, to the
majority of educated to music people. If someone or even the majority
could not hear the difference, means where Guarneri del Gesù or
Stradivari fools or wrong?  Are you able to misure and explain why they
sound 'different'?

Ask yourself: will today Stradivari or Guarneri del Gesu helped or
retained by modern 'meauserment' to do the same and produce such
masterpieces?

Too bad I know the answer, just becouse we miss Stradivari and Guarneri
del Gesu today...

3. Not sure to well understand.