docbob wrote:
> It's needn't be all or nothing. Some evaluations are naturally opinion
> and some are better presented as facts (e.g. measurements, presented
> with the test conditions)

Quite true but where does one draw the line?

In the case of measurements, often times the measurements presented in
high end audio magazines are deemed irrelevant, especially when the
measurements run counter to the opinion.

docbob wrote:
> With "well-designed" equipment, since the decoded FLAC and WAV are
> bit-identical, the _sound_ (not files) "should" be the same. But not all
> equipment is "well-designed" and even with anecdotal measures by
> Archimago (on his system) w.r.t. CPU/GPU load influences on sound, there
> is no guarantee that it is generally applicable. (Even if it is likely
> that it is).
>
> So what can be compared with sighted listening is: FLAC>a
> system>biasFLAC -_vs._- WAV>a system>biasWAV.
> Although a person comparing the files with ABX may get a better,
> unbiased result, it comes at the cost of extra hassle, and several
> potential pitfalls.

Well if the differences are there because of poorly designed equipment
then we are not comparing apple to apples. Falling back on the "well
designed" equipment reason is no reason at all.

Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. &
sub
Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1
& Energy sub
Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos