I've read through this thread with interest, and I fully agree with the
sentiments expressed about manufacturers' marketing campaigns being
fuelled by the "independent" reviews published by the plethora of
magazines. The sad reality is that both the manufacturers and the
magazines are trying to sustain their businesses and this is most easily
achieved by promoting the concept that this year's product is much
better than last year's, and correspondingly that this month's magazine
has something brand-new to say.

I have seen the argument advanced that the Wall Street crash of 1929 was
at least partially induced by Henry Ford having managed to sell his
rugged & user repairable Model T to all possible consumers, including
many of his own workers who he remunerated relatively generously (for a
capitalist) using some of the economy of scale cost savings derived from
his revolutionary production line process to fund their higher wages.
Therefore he ultimately ran out of new customers and his revenue stream.

Manufacturers have now long learned this lesson, and we now have
"planned obsolescence" as a design requirement. Nevertheless, to
continue the car analogy briefly, each year each model will incorporate
changes of some kind, many of them useless & some of them plain stupid
(like electronic handbrakes!).

As in many fields, once you manage to penetrate the bs, there is an
80/20 rule at work which means that to achieve any meaningful/audible
improvement will require an ever-increasing level of design
sophistication & quality control effort in production meaning £££'s
being spent in accordance with the law of diminishing returns.

Having said all that, I wish my music system to operate in order to
suspend my disbelief that I am listening to sophisticated electronics
and fancy transducers when I want to think that I am listening to music.
Ultimately there must be a subjective element to this, and indeed a
personal one, depending upon which aspects of a real musical performance
one feels most important: enjoying music is after all an emotional
experience. I myself consider that I'm getting close when a reproduction
makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up - I most commonly get
this response listening to exceptional vocalists, although solo piano is
a good test of system to because 1. it's a difficult signal to reproduce
accurately because of the initial transients to each note, from the
variable hammer action of the internal mechanism of the instrument, and
2. because most of us have a pretty good idea of what a real piano
played live sounds like.

I usually buy components for my system second-hand whenever possible, or
look for ex-demo bargains when something I want cannot easily be
acquired s/h. A major reason for this is of course that I am a
skin-flint, but joking aside, until you hook a piece of kit up with your
other gear in your own listening room and then listen to the result
intensively for a couple of weeks at least, you will not know if it
improves your musical enjoyment. There are plenty of combinations of kit
which don't work well together, and a rare few that have a synergistic
effect. And also something that sounds good initially may induce
"listening fatigue" after a longer audition. Buyers of s/h audio gear
are normally simply bothered by whether it actually works at all or not,
and not unduly concerned about the provenance, although there are a
strange subset of "original packaging" fanatics around. My point here is
that if I buy something this way, and later conclude that it does not
suit my needs I can usually sell it on without losing much (if any)
money. Just because something doesn't gel with my gear or ring my bell
doesn't mean that someone else won't be delighted by it so I don't feel
any moral conflict in this approach. Unfortunately, if everyone else
followed my approach (I don't buy the magazines either) a number of
manufacturers would inevitably go out of business unless they were able
readily to diversify their activities into other areas. There would also
eventually be a dearth of s/h kit for me to purchase so this is a
short-term strategy: however, at age 62 I must accept that my life
itself is rapidly assuming short-term characteristics...

Like others on this site, I have an enquiring mind and am interested in
how the "magic" of producing music from a bunch of boxes can be achieved
and I thoroughly endorse the scientific method as the only rational way
to proceed. I would note though that "science" is not actually a body of
knowledge but rather a set of working hypotheses each of which can never
be definitely proved but can only be definitively disproved by readily
repeatable experiments the results of which disagree with the prediction
of the theory. So we always need to be careful making definitive
statements of the nature of "science says x, so you must be wrong"
unless the specific matter in question has already been subjected to
those repeated experiments which have confirmed the validity of our
current hypothesis to this situation, and someone is claiming a result
contrary to those experimental findings.

Some working hypotheses even after being shown to be incorrect in
certain aspects can still be of use in other circumstances: I believe
that the USA put their men on the moon using Newton's Laws of Motion,
even though they had already been long supplanted by Einstein's Theory
Of Relativity. This was acceptable because the calculations were simpler
(they were very short of on-board computing power) and the difference
between the results which would result was insignificant in the
circumstances. Einstein's theories themselves remain unproved - they
simply have not yet been disproved. Equally, our latest theories about
digital music reproduction are not definitively proven, and we may later
reach a greater depth of understanding. Just saying...

In the meantime, I'm revelling in my disbelief suspension, and kidding
myself very effectively that I'm listening to great music...

Dave :)