Golden Earring wrote:
> I know that there is a small contingent of technophiles who actually
> have little appreciation of music & select their recordings to "show
> off" the capabilities of their equipment. I am firmly in the opposite
> camp, I would prefer not to "hear" my system at all, just the music. And
> I hope that the vast majority of this forum's members would agree with
> me on this.

Except for those of us who play electric/electronic instruments (where
the equipment is responsible for the sound to a high degree).

> I am old enough to remember Peter Walker

I also remember the days of Wireless World proper, when people like
Baxandall and Linsley Hood not only shared their designs, but also the
design rationale behind them. I guess the closest modern thing was
Linear Audio - unfortunately the most recent issue was also the last
one. :(

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953