Julf wrote:
> Appreciation of music is subjective. Even appreciation of various form
> of coloration and distortion is subjective. But laws of physics aren't.
>
> There is no problem with someone saying "I prefer the sound of tube
> amps", but if someone says "green ethernet cables distort sound more
> than red ethernet cables when transmitting streaming data", then we can
> (and should) call "foo".

I couldn't agree more: I am vehemently opposed to all manifestations of
"snake oil": my kit is reasonably high-end, but my interconnects and
speaker cables are not anything more than studio retailer (as opposed to
hi-fi retailer) items which were no more expensive than the quality of
their construction & terminators justify. My speaker cables (equal
lengths of course for each channel) are basic OFC with bare wire
termination securely attached to the amp's terminals (actually capable
of being clamped gently with a ring spanner) & the speaker binding posts
at the other end. I must confess to sitting my heavy amp on some
inexpensive rubber isolation feet although it probably makes no
difference - it's sitting on top of a sturdy cabinet on a concrete
floor. it just looks a bit sexy!

I know that there is a small contingent of technophiles who actually
have little appreciation of music & select their recordings to "show
off" the capabilities of their equipment. I am firmly in the opposite
camp, I would prefer not to "hear" my system at all, just the music. And
I hope that the vast majority of this forum's members would agree with
me on this.

I am old enough to remember Peter Walker who founded the Acoustical
Manufacturing Co. responsible for some decent amplification and renowned
electrostatic loudspeakers under the Quad brand name stating that "the
perfect amplifier is a straight piece of wire with gain". Unfortunately,
the realities of amplifier design necessitate considerably more
complexity to get anywhere close to that simple objective, as his own
products themselves bore out.

Dave :)