arnyk wrote:
> If you depart too far from the ideal in the direction of Class A you
> have a problem with what is called gm doubling.  This is a fairly deep
> technical issue further elaborated on by Douglas Self in his various
> well-known publications related to power amp design and also
> 'Douglas-sel on SS power amps,'
> (http://douglas-self.com/ampins/dipa/dipa.htm#5) as well as 'Solid State
> amplifiers by teemu_kyttala_v1.0.pdf'
> (http://www.thatraymond.com/downloads/solidstate_guitar_amplifiers_teemu_kyttala_v1.0.pdf).

Hi Arny!

Most impressed by the two references you have kindly provided, although
they're going to take me some time to digest: Douglas Self is clearly
summarising about half a lifetime's work, & the distortion figures his
amplifier designs measure at are astonishing. I wonder how long we will
have to wait for similarly impressive loudspeaker performance, &
ultimately whether our ears are up to the task of discerning how clean
they are.

The second article is very wide-ranging & all the more impressive for
having been written in a language other than the author's native tongue.
It's very useful stuff & may well come in handy for all kinds of future
purposes.

Bedtime reading for a while!

Dave :)