Golden Earring wrote:
> I have never encountered any discs cut from inside to out, although I
> agree that many orchestral composers could not resist a grand finale.
> And why not? They hadn't even dreamt of the possibility of recorded
> sound, they were writing for live concert audiences.

When I worked at BBC External Services (1968-71) we still had sets of
78rpm transcription discs of some long works. The records in the set
were always cut alternately outside-in then inside-out.  As noted
elsewhere in this thread, the shorter groove length at the inside of the
disc results in impaired fidelity. When playing the set, if all discs
were cut outside-in, the change in quality from one side to the next was
quite obvious. The transition from inner groove to inner groove followed
by outer groove to outer groove (and so on through the set) eliminated
this problem.