Golden Earring wrote:
> OK, but what are you subjecting your amplifier to if you stick an actual
> square wave from a signal generator through it?

A slightly rounded square wave.

> BTW, I don't actually like the sound of square waves myself!

Does it matter? You never find a pure square wave in nature.

> What is the significance of that? I read that if the waveform didn't
> actually complete a cycle it was essentially undefined. Perhaps I'm
> reading the wrong book?

Well, yes, a fourier transform is only defined for a cyclical waveform,
so you have to have at least one full cycle.

> I've been creeping around under my car putting rust converter on rusty
> bits, i.e. pretty much everything, & my back's screaming...

I feel your pain - it is messy too.

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953