On 04/12/2007, at 10:45 AM, Matthew Gage wrote:

> We really need to look at the consequences of either side being wrong.

Quite.  Factoring in the magnitude of the consequences is an entirely
necessary aspect of risk management.

As pilots we should all have the skillset required to make those
judgement
calls.  We have procedures in place all the time to prevent rare
accidents
with unspeakable consequences (why do we maintain SSNG in the circuit,
when we know from thermalling that doing turns at 45kt is entirely
manageable?  Because near the ground the consequences of getting it
wrong
are magnified)

I get the feeling that most personal changes that normal people
undertake
to mitigate climate change are completely useless (does it really matter
in the end if you buy a car with 10% less emissions than a Commodore,
or if you turn two extra lights off at night?  Probably not).  We only
do the things that are cheap, easy, and sacrifice-free.

A serious examination of the consequences of either side being wrong
requires a serious commitment to the results of said examination.  How
many of us actually consider that?  Hardly any, I'd wager.

   - mark