On 04/12/2007, at 11:23 AM, Mark Newton wrote:

> I get the feeling that most personal changes that normal people
> undertake
> to mitigate climate change are completely useless (does it really
> matter
> in the end if you buy a car with 10% less emissions than a Commodore,
> or if you turn two extra lights off at night?  Probably not).  We only
> do the things that are cheap, easy, and sacrifice-free.

The same can be said of our country of 21m people - too small to make
a difference. Problem is you need to start somewhere.

But driving a car getting 4.5l / 100km every day and driving 30,000 km
a year, would give a saving of $4000 a year. My 2nd car is 2 years
away from paying for itself in reduced fuel costs !!!!

Now Europe has tried to "fix" people wanting thirsty cars - the tax on
fuel is extreme - at least twice as expensive as here to fill up. That
now makes my $4000 $8000. They then charge rego based on emissions -
an extra $1000 a year for the commodore.

So in a situation where driving something like a commodore can be
almost $10k a year more expensive in running costs, there is strong
incentive.