On 01/01/2008, at 8:01 PM, Ray Lawley-Sinclair wrote:

> Unfortunately, the current rate of warming is approximately double
> any rate recorded subsequent to any previous ice age. I refer to
> three articles showing the effects of natural climate changes in the
> past, the current climate change situation, and predictions for the
> future:

A suggestion recently heard from a source who would die of embarrassment
if I used his name here, and who will therefore remain anonymous unless
he chooses to reveal himself, is that the atmosphere has been in a
natural
warming influence since the 14th century, but that it was interrupted by
the industrial revolution belching soot into the air and thereby
reducing
the amount of solar radiation hitting the ground.

Since the 1970's environmentalists have been campaigning for clean air,
and have been successful in reducing particulate emissions from most
western industrial processes, leading to us in the 21st century
experiencing the cleanest air the Northern hemisphere has known since
the 1700's. That's allowed the quantity of solar radiation reaching the
ground to increase to the level it would have been at if the industrial
revolution had never occurred in the first place, making temperatures
shoot up to join onto the curve they would have been following since
the 14th century if mankind hadn't been meddling.

It's an intriguing theory.  I like it because it actually pins global
warming on the green movement, which is delicious in its irony :-)
It also neatly explains Mann's hockey stick graph, and also explains
why warming has been more pronounced in the Northern hemisphere than
the Southern (the Southern hemisphere never had that much industry
in the first place, and has always had cleaner air than Europe and
North America) and avoids buying into the IPCC's missing 30km-high
warming that Mike Borgelt was banging on about a few weeks ago.

Is it right?  No idea.  But it's good for a stir, so that probably
makes it on topic for this list :-)

   - mark