Joko

From: Paul J. Rychwalsk, M.D. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

My first language is English and I am fluent in Spanish. My wife is from
Mexico, her first language is Spanish and she is fluent in English.
We live in the United States. Our child is now 4 months old and we are
interested in theories of teaching both languages to our son. Our plan was
to speak only Spanish in our home, assuming that he wil pick up English from
his environment (friends, relatives, television). Some have said that this
would put him
at a disadvantage in English when he begins school. We have also thought
about my wife speaking Spanish and me speaking English to him with Spanish
between my wife and I.
What are the current thoughts regarding raising a bilingual child?
Are there any published data? Thank you.

Dear Paul:
This question and similar ones have been asked (and answered) in this forum
a number of times, so you should do a search of our archives for
complementary points of view (at
http://linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/ask-ling.cgi).  Just to give you what seems
to be the generally-accepted consensus: there seems to be agreement that
each parent should stick to a single language, usually each one's respective
native language.  What you suggest is nearly the generally accepted 'best
plan'.  The only bad information in your query comes from your misguided
'some' who suggest a disadvantage in school.  All the information I have
seen suggests that bilingualism is
at worst neutral for the cognitive development of children, and most people
(admittedly often on the basis of anecdotal or 'common-sense' evidence--this
of course means that I just haven't read any relevant research on the topic,
and I don't in fact know if any exists) think that there are positive
benefits cognitively from
bilingualism.
        In my personal case, I speak English natively and Spanish fluently.  My
wife speaks (Argentine) Spanish natively and English quasi-natively.  We
speak English with each other, and both used Spanish with our kids (a bit
dumb on my part, but I just didn't know at the time, and one thing from
personal experience that I can tell you is that it is *extremely* difficult
to change the language you use with your kids, once you have started with
one).  In any case, despite the initial passivity of our kids' knowledge of
English (all were raised in Mexico), they all attended a
partially-English-language school in Puebla, Mexico, and all have excelled
in English.  The older two are now in college in the States, and doing very
well, and the youngest is at least as good at English as the others were at
her age.  While their Mom and me [sic] are no dummies, I have the strong
feeling that our kids' cognitive development was greatly aided by the
bilingual environment they were
raised in.
        In sum, your plan sounds feasible and recommendable, and I doubt that
anyone here will try to argue you out of it.
                Jim

>> Mau kirim bunga hari ini ? Klik, http://www.indokado.com/
>> Info balita, http://www.balita-anda.com
>> Stop berlangganan, e-mail ke: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Kirim email ke