Not apropos to the question in question, this year I had the people
who clear trees for the power company dump mountains of wood chips at
Blue Ridge Center.

Not having had time to build serious compost stacks with them, I've
been interested in using the chips as mulch in the flower garden, but
I've been afraid of poison ivy that was undoubtedly chopped up with
the trees (it climbs like mad here) and been afraid of itroducing
disease to the garden.

I got a chance to talk to my neighbor about this. He just happens to
be the commercial mulch king of Northern Virginia. (where, btw, BLUE
mulch (died) has become the most popular) I asked him about using
tree company wood chips.

Surprisingly, he said that if I piled them and they heated, then
after 6 weeks the poison ivy and most of the diseases were
neutralized, that I should be able to apply them anywhere without
fear of poisoning garden workers and so on.

My stacks DEFINITELY heated: they smoke as though they have chimneys
every morning (or, at least, they did) I'm going to spread a few tons
in the near future. I'll let you know how it works out.