On Friday, March 14, 2014 2:08:00 PM UTC-6, RobertCNelson wrote:

> Here is a better fix:
>
> sudo sed -i -e 's:Exec=lxterminal:Exec=lxterminal -l -e bash:g'
> /usr/share/applications/lxterminal.desktop

As far as I can tell by using ps - p $$, lxterminal is already running
bash, so adding -e bash shouldn't change anything. Adding the -l make it a
login shell, so it sources /etc/profile and then .profile, which sources
.bashrc if it exists.

Without this change lxterminal runs bash as a non login shell so it sources
/etc/bash.bashrc and then .bashrc instead. The /etc/bash.bashrc file setups
the command prompt.

What I don't understand is why an lxterminal command with no options starts
a bash shell, but an lxterminal -l command starts a /bin/sh shell which is
actually a dash shell. You end up with no command prompt because it doesn't
run /etc/bash.bashrc. There are probably other differences. This is why you
added the -e bash option.

Anyway this does seem like a better fix, though anything that runs /bin/sh
will still have a different PATH without the user bin directory.

Dennis Cote