On Friday, March 14, 2014 2:56:50 PM UTC-6, William Hermans wrote:

> Dennis, just so you know, you should be able to google "debian" + whatever
> keyword you need to know something about to find an answer. We're talking
> basic Linux / Debian stuff here. For example.
>
> google -> howto change debian timezone, and you will very likely find what
> i asked about last night "dpkg-reconfigure tzdata".

I did that and ended up
at
http://www.debian-administration.org/article/213/Changing_the_timezone_of_your_Debian_system

which suggested the tzselect command (which in turn suggested adding a TZ
environment variable, which in turn led to me seeing that my .profile
wasn't being executed, etc).

I also saw the page at https://wiki.debian.org/TimeZoneChanges but the text
at the top of that page and the titles of the other sections made it seem
more about checking and adapting the system to changes in the dates of
daylight saving etc. I just wanted to set my timezone. The section where
"dpkg-reconfigure tzdata" is mentioned has the title "Check Configured
Timezone", and the text of the command itself didn't lead me to conclude it
would change my timezone. Had I read in more detail I would have seem what
it did, but I was skimming for something that said "this is how to change
your timezone" as on the page above.

> Anyway, dont feel as though I am putting you down by saying  this. quite
> the contrary actually.

No problem, no offence taken. I just want to point out that not all google
searches (or searchers) lead to the best answer.

Dennis Cote