On 01/04/2014 11:25 PM, Aleksandar Kuktin wrote:
>> On Sat, 4 Jan 2014 23:02:22 +0100
>> Aleksandar Kuktin <akuk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, 04 Jan 2014 22:13:23 +0100
>>> "Armin K." <kre...@email.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Do not hesitate to ask any questions. Careful, you might be
>>> surprised :P
>>>
>>> www.linuxfromscratch.org/~krejzi/blfs-systemd-20140104.txt
>
> Also, what is broadcom-sta-5.100.82.112? I also have a Broadcom WiFi
> interface, but I seem to be unable to make it work.

It's a wifi driver, but an older version since current (v6.0) doesn't
play well with the model I have.

> lspci reports:
> Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [14e4:4311]

02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313
802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter [14e4:4727] (rev 01)

> I've built the in-tree kernel driver, installed and loaded the
> firmware, but all to no avail. I'm currently reaching the list via
> UMTS (mobile internet) using a PCMCIA modem. While its cool to use pppd
> and chat to connect first to the modem and then to the world, I'd really
> like to let my Linux kick the poor Windows boxes from the
> air again. :evil_grin:

I did try to use brcmsmac driver from the kernel, but signal was very
poor and power management was bad.

> Is broadcom-sta the part I am missing?

Probably. Some distros call it broadcom-wl or simply wl since the module
it builds is actually "wl". Since I got the source from Debian (older
one, upstream has only the latest one) and they call it broadcom-sta, I
kept the name.

> Other questions:
>
> AFAIK, librsvg is involved in a circular dependency with GTK+. You seem
> to build GTK+, then librsvg, but never rebuild GTK+ to gain librsvg
> support in GTK+. If this is correct, is there a special reason for that?

GTK+ doesn't depend on librsvg at all. Where did you get that from? Even
BLFS doesn't list it as a dep neither for GTK+2 nor GTK+3. librsvg uses
GTK+3 to build rsvg-view-3 program.

> Skype is mentioned. I suppose this is a binary linux distribution
> downloaded from Skypes website. Correct?

Yes

> What exactly is intel-ucode-20130222 for?

CPU microcode update. It updates CPU microcode at runtime using
"microcode" driver in the kernel. It's firmware actually.

Now that you mention it, it seems that it doesn't work anymore somehow,
probably since I've built microcode driver into kernel but firmware is
in /lib/firmware.

--
Note: My last name is not Krejzi.