At 08:40 PM 1/5/03 -0600, Julia Thompson wrote:
Robert Seeberger wrote:

>  Charles Hard Townes was born in Greenville, South Carolina, on July 28,
> 1915, the son of Henry Keith Townes, an attorney, and Ellen (Hard) Townes.
> He attended the Greenville public schools and then Furman University in
> Greenville, where he completed the requirements for the Bachelor of Science
> degree in physics and the Bachelor of Arts degree in Modern Languages,
> graduating summa cum laude in 1935, at the age of 19.

Where's Greenville?

The western corner of SC, between Georgia and North Carolina.

Furman University is in Greenville. Quite a pretty campus. Owned by the Southern Baptists, who for some reason prefer that people refer to it as "Furman" rather than "F. U." . . .

A quite useful annual resource, the _Astronomical Calendar_ <<http://www.universalworkshop.com/page6.html>> has been published there for about 30 years now by Guy Ottewell of their physics department.

(Is there a good map of SC somewhere on-line so I can figure it out my own darn self?)

Try MapQuest. If clicking on the following link doesn't work, just go to their home page and search for "Greenville SC"

<<http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?pan=s&mapdata=3Y5TK1Lw1y%2b%2b4Dg5LPzz6svVywrbGZ%2fqPq6NkJIA8mvsR22GTrtzeYvZ0RSCTv6I4rf7xPryQ%2f8y6aM9%2flI6DeTm19uAgt6U%2b9iyVpFWw2bStoM%2bpjHbJ%2f1yEDPhtM4Wy%2f36PZ4uZoxIU4D%2bH%2fdNtzVRjTLPz5kIDWLHe8F8y%2bxNWe80tMdDpWKfGFP4gnDDz4gQpucS5Iuk5y4Hi9LEEZZZm3IHvOmImIHI1RFTUMaOq6w87g36M%2flN%2bE4czQRMr5ZxincoSIqdBJumuobvV%2fNsU%2bwpXM4n>>

--Ronn! :)

I always knew that I would see the first man on the Moon.
I never dreamed that I would see the last.
--Dr. Jerry Pournelle