On Sat, 1 Nov 2003, The Fool wrote:

> Bullshit.  I ask again: Why should anyone consider a parasitic lump of
> undifferentiated cells any differently from a cancer?

Potential.  The cancer doesn't have much potential for becoming something
other than a parasitic lump of cells.

Also, by the time some people get around to having an abortion, the cells
have started to differentiate.  Are you all for limiting the abortion to
the time where the cells are, in fact, still not differentiated?

Aside from that, I haven't met anyone that wanted to have cancer, whereas
I've known lots and lots of women who wanted to be pregnant.

As far as the general abortion question goes, that's a minefield, and one
I prefer to stay out of in on-line debates.  But my position is that I
think it's generally wrong, but there was a time in my life (and at that
point, I thought it was generally wrong) when, if a certain friend of mine
had gotten pregnant (and she was doing everything she could to prevent
it), she would have died if she'd carried the baby to viability, and I
would have done whatever she needed me to to get an abortion.  And we
probably would have both been sad about it the rest of our lives.

        Julia