> James wrote:
> So am I, I am only disappointed that you can not see it and I pity you for
> your love of your callous system.

This is what I think is so interesting.  I hear those such as Sam
claiming how Europeans pay so much in taxes and how horrible their
health care system is, yet I never hear this from Europeans.

Has anyone ever met any expatriate European that says they moved away
from Europe to get away from the horrible taxes?

My take on Europe is this: if you want to become a millionaire by
starting your own business, then maybe Europe isn't the best place.
If, however, you just want to be middle class and raise a family, then
Europe is the best place in the world.  Why?

As one example: I know a 20-something Frenchman who works for a major
French company as programmer and makes a modest salary.  Yet he's able
to take 2+ months of vacation per year, his job is literally
guaranteed, his pay increases by 30% if he finishes his Masters which
the gov't is paying for and his company gives him paid leave to
pursue.  In the summer he takes a month's vacation and goes skiing in
the Alps or rents a house in Spain.  He lives in a modest apartment
and drives a small car, but otherwise he doesn't have much to worry
about  since he can't be fired.

Everyone always asks him how the company motivates him if he can't
really be fired.  His response is that while the company must employ
him, it doesn't guarantee pay or position; that is, they could have
him cleaning bathrooms.

I have a hard time arguing that he's got it rough compared to American
20-something programmers.