> Brian wrote:
> I just don't think the scenario you describe here is quite the paradise it
> seems on the surface.

Nobody is more skeptical than me - but over the last 4 years here's
the difference I've noticed:  American programmers seem skeptical and
fearful.  Their European counterparts don't.

As to the paradise, it comes with its downside: entering the job
market you'll make very little.  You get good benefits, but the middle
class dream requires that you "pay your dues."   The first 10 years of
your working life will be hard work for little pay.  The last 10 won't
make you rich.

In America, if you want to be rich you can be withing 10-15 years
given you're willing to sacrific everything to get it.  Further, you
may just get rich doing the same ole same ole.

In Europe, I know another programmer (Irish working for a French
company) who just took the summer off to learn to play the guitar and
spend time with his kids - he's 38.  He came back to the same job he
left.

In Germany I know 2 guys who work for Siemens.  One is an XML expert,
the other is a strategic development manager.  He drives a mercedes,
lives in the Alps and is a ski rescuer in his spare time.  The XML guy
is a BMW and car fanatic.

In Switzerland I know a guy in his 60s who works for a SwissTechnics.
He has a decent  house in Zurich, and recently had a heart attack.  I
haven't heard him complain about health care.

Just a few examples, but from all walks of life.

So I think it's funny when I hear people talking about how horrible
Europe is, but everyone I know that lives there feels the same about
us!