I, too work for a French company, but I work in the US.

I interact with French, German, English and other nationalities every
day. We tend not to speak about our relative wages/work
habits/hours/etc., but on the rare occasion that we do, I find the
following:

1. My european counterparts (especially the French) have the opinion
that we Americans work too much.
2. We Americans (in my experience) tend to think that our european
counterparts don't work enough and take too much vacation. :-) I
personally find that shutting down the entire country of France in
August is a little inconvenient, but so far it has not caused a major
upset in the economics of our company...
3. I make a buttload more money than my european counterparts (I've
never revealed the exact amount to them, IMHO bad for business, though
they tend to have no problem giving out their own info).
4. I pay for health insurance. I have a damn good plan, and I don't
pay a lot for it (thank you competetive Washington software job
market!), but I do pay. My european counterparts do not have to pay.

Now, the one time I've had an argument about the "American dream" vs
the "French ideal" was with a woman who kept repeating "You Americans,
your God is money! The French live the simple life! your big houses
and your cars!"

Later that week (I was in France at the time) I had dinner at her
house, a 2100 sq ft new construction in a sleepy little berg outside
Paris (on the road to Normandy); 3 cars, a Volvo, a Merc (for the
husband), and a little scooter-type car for the maid; a maid!; a
brand-spanking new BMW motorcycle (apparently hubby was having a bit
of a mid-life crisis).

I guess the "simple life" has its perks too.

:-)

--

will

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true;
and that would just be unacceptable."
- Carrie Fisher