The house is in PA but the climate is about the same.

Toxic ("black") mold isn't nearly the problem in the Northeast as it is in
the south.  That being said it still does happen.

We're just not going there however - if the mold inspection comes back good
we'll take the house, dehumidify and deal with the little there is (if it's
non-toxic of course, which is the likelihood) but if it comes back bad we're
just not going to take it.

(At this point even if the current owner offered to fix the problem on his
own dime we'd probably pass - it's just not worth it down the line for us at
this stage when we have plenty of time to look around.)

> into this in Texas so it may be a southern issue, but definitely,
> check it out. As to the other comments, hmmm, if the house is at the
> hight end of it's price range they may simply be trying it on -- ask

It's squarely in the middle... perhaps even a little on the low side.

The neighborhood ranges from low 120's to high 170's - our agreement for
this place is $145.

If the market doesn't change drastically (and there's very little evidence
that any changes would be drastic) then making these improvements should
easily raise the sell-value to the $160,000 range.

Jim Davis