I work, as I'm sure some of you do as well, in a large enterprise.  We've been
doing a lot of outsourcing over the past few years, almost exclusively to a
single company in India.

Anyway, here's the situation: one of our on-shore contractors recently lost his
mother.  She died suddenly, unexpectedly of a stroke.  He's young, maybe 23 and
took it pretty hard.

He works here, legally, full time and essentially for as long as he wants.
Both companies in question are large, respected and are fluent in these
processes.

However his visa does not allow him to return to India for the funeral.  His
choice is either to miss it completely or to go and lose his ability to reenter
the country (and this job).

How screwed up is that?  What purpose could such a measure possibly serve?

As an aside - I also made a cultural ass of myself.  I found about all of this
because I was picking on him about shaving his head (something I do - well, I
cut it down really short).  Apparently this is a sign of mourning in certain
Hindu sects.  So don't go up to a freshly shaved Indian and just assume that
he's trying to cover up his bald spot as well.

Jim Davis