On Jan 9, 2008 3:37 PM, Todd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> To put is very simply, yes, in this case.  It is shown that 'adults' aged
> 18 - 21 are much more likely to go off on a bender and potentially mow
> down
> someone with their vehicle in their drunken state than someone over 21.  I
> don't know many smokers who overindulge on a pack of cigs and drive in a
> rather impaired state.  As for fighting, well, killing is the whole idea
> isn't it?  Besides, 'they' are being killed, not 'us'.
>
> Also, at age 18-20 your brain is still busy rewiring itself to some
> degree.
> Many 18-20 years olds STILL do not fully understand the consequences of
> their actions.  Threatening to hold them accountable doesn't do a bit of
> good in preventing many of said stupid actions.

I don't think its a simple yes. Bear with me, I am trying to understand your
point. With your logic... then anyone under 20 who murders someone shouldn't
be tried as an adult? Why. Because their brain "rewiring" itself to a
degree. Kids a lot younger are getting tried as adults.

I don't think I agree. IMHO its an excuse, a crutch or an out clause. That
19 year old know exactly what he is doing, and understands the consequences.
At 19 he's just willing to take more risk. I wouldn't equate willingness to
take risk as being equal to not fully understanding consequences.

Jeff