On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 8:34 PM, Gruss Gott <grussg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> But I would also ask who has the better medical research & development
> infrastructure.

You  know that the US is a much bigger country than either the UK or
Canada, right? And we have the largest GDP in the world. I would
expect our research and R&D infrastructure to be better.

> In other words it's one thing to provide care, it's totally another to
> develop the care.

Most basic research is done in an academic setting and isn't effected
by health insurance. There is certainly medical R&D done by
pharmaceutical companies. How Big Pharma would fare under health care
reform and what that means for drug R&D is an open question.

> And then there's the choice thing: if I'm provided with 2 choices,
> ignorant to the other 1000, sure I'm going to say I'm really happy
> with my choice.
>
> If I know about the other 1000 now how do I feel?
>
> So the real question is does the entire system drive innovation, cost
> reduction, and medical advancement as best as possible?
>
> Because it's one thing to not refuse care, but what kind of care are
> we providing?  And who decides what kind of care?  The consumer,
> industry, or the government?

No, that's not the question. Right now there is no 2 choices let alone
a thousand.Lets try getting a system where the leading cause of
bankruptcy isn't medical care. Lets try for a system where sick people
can go see a doctor. Then we can work on the finer points of choice,
refining quality of care, improving efficiency, etc. The big issue
right now is changing the fundamental paradigm to a point where
healthcare for all Americans is to be expected. Then we can work on
making it the best we possibly can.

Don't let perfection be the enemy of the good.

Unless, of course, you have a plan to provide 1000 choices and provide
stellar health care coverage to all Americans. In which case I will be
quite happy to listen to the details.

Judah